Tuesday 12 August 2008

Stopping To Smell The Sweet Scent of Life

Stopped by to see an old friend of mine who runs a small but quaint nursery. Chatted for a while about the weather and family but found the last part of the conversation rather interesting. Though being an old schooled Chinese bloke, his description of what it means to 'care and nurture' his garden hit the nail spot on.

He may have expressed himself in uncertain terms but I understood what he meant. What he saw in his plants were not merely decorative ornamental moveables or innate objects but living entities..every single one of them.

It was my comment that sparked his simple yet profound response. I said that it must be nice being able to run a nursery. He retorted that my question one often asked by many. To this, came his reply, '..many people say that it must be good for my health and good for my eye sight to be doing manual while surrounded be greenery. Ayiah, but they don't know that a lot of pressure...so hard at times.' He must has seen the incredulous look on my face at his reply and continued before I could utter my confusion at his reply.

Then it became clear that he was referring to the worry he has to endure when some of his plants are not sold. He said that he feels sorry for those left behind and that puts pressure on him to tend them with greater care so as to ensure that they will look lively enough to attract the attention of a potential customer.

It was then that it dawned on me that he was somewhat referring to the age old English adage...'talking to your plants to make them grow healthier.' It is something which I totally agreed with him because, like him, I too believe that a plant is a living entity that responses not only to its natural surroundings but emotional as well.

This was the simple beauty of life that I cherish. Both of us, separated by age, culture, beliefs and education yet being able to arrive at the same conclusion that there is 'life' in every living things, a life that must be respected and cared for...even in a humble plant. What more then of God's other creation!

It is sad that most of us are blinded by superficiality of the material world, getting so caught up in the rat race and our own egoistical self. That is the reason why I choose to stop and smell the roses once in awhile, to remind me to see God in all.

So here's some simple photos of very exotic orchids that exuberates with the colorful splendor of life.

......O curas hominum! O quantum est in rebus inane......

To none I wish ill but to all I wish peace and love.

No comments: