Tuesday 22 July 2008

Of Sight and Sound




It'll finally come to pass...me and my long awaited G9 Canon. Thank God as I had been salivating and eagerly waiting for almost two months to get my hands on a decent but compact digital camera.

I suppose the need for the camera stems from my desire to express my 'view' of life through the lens. It'll be another form of extension of who I am and my love for life together with the varied beauty it has to offer.

Music has and will always be an integral part of my life. My dad, Andrew, who is 79 this year, is a gifted and talented musician who somehow managed to pass on his legacy to me. Though unable to read music scores (taugey or bean sprouts as I would call those black and white scribblings found on music sheets), we get on fine making music by ear.

Between us, the guitar is our favorite instrument with the piano being next although Andrew is quite decent with the violin and me on the trumpet. (a horny little me who likes to blow my own horns)

It does seem odd that I now feel the need to express myself through photography. In my previous stint as a journalist for almost seven years, I never really gave a thought about it as there were the professional photographers to get the job done.

However, it was only recently when I got back on the job as a journalist early this year that I began to feel the needed to capture and record scenes of life and Malacca other than through the pen.

Maybe its because I am now surrounded by those with a passion for photography, one of whom actually calls her camera Sony Alpha 200 'Princess'. Or maybe its just an ego thingy...a need to prove that 'a carpenter never blames his tools' i.e. me jibbing others with their much more sophisticated DSLR that shots taken with a G9 would be equally good under the right hands...my hands of course. Couldn't agree more with my senior photographer who put it this way...'ada kereta Ferrari tapi kalau tak tahu bawa, kalah juga' (... doesn't mean you own a Ferrari means you are a good driver. Its how you drive it.)

I now find myself 'viewing' things differently each time I step out of my home. The sky, clouds, buildings, people, lighting, shadows and sunset are looked at from a different perspective.
Being an impatient person by nature and one who acts of impulse, the wait for the G9 is a torture.

To compensate for the wait, I resorted to stealing a few shots with Princess and using my bro-in laws Nokia N series phone camera (5 mega pixels) while on a night cruise of the Malacca River. (ahem..pretty good I suppose for a handphone cam).

Well till the G9 is in my hands...I'll keep on dreaming still.....

1 comment:

Me said...

The long wait finally ended - and congratulations for the arrival of your 'princess' too!

Expecting more pix in this blog yeah... ;-)