Thursday 6 November 2008

One of Life's Mysteries Solved




It was a hilarious episode that I feel warrants a post. My mum, Irene, 66, who is typical Nyonya from Heeren Street, usually does Karen and me a big favour by babysitting Kyra, my five-year-old whose energy seems boundless.

It was another usual day at work and was on my way home when I recieved a call from Irene. (if you've had the pleasure of talking to a Baba-Nyonya, you'd realise that they are well known for being very expressive) She ranting and raving about some blackish mark that had developed around Kyra's upper lip.

The conversation went soemthing like this..."Boy (another typical Baba-Nyonya termed used for a male heir) there's some kind of mark on Kyra's lips. I don't know what caused it. Maybe its the Batman ice-cream I bought for her. I tried to wipe and wash it off but the mark cannot come out. How, how...huh....I am so worried lah."

When I reached home, Kyra was as usual was blase about the whole thing. She did looked a little confused which was most likely caused by Irene's incessant worry and attempts to 'wash' off the mark on her lips. Kyra had this perfect half halo blue-black mark on her upper lips and lok pretty unusual.Upon closer examination, I realised it was not a ice-cream stain but more of a mark or impression when one sucks hard on an object.

Kyra looked hilarious...she looked like as though someone had given her a bad lipstick makeover. She reminded me of a clown or one of those old traditional Chinese ladies with lipstick extending over the boundries of their lips.

When I questioned Kyra, her reply was "I don't...all I do just now is to suck on my ice-cream grandma buy for me". Questioned my mum on whether Kyra suck on any circular object and she said no. Thus, the mystery only deepened and only added to Irene's guilt that she was responsible for Kyra's odd predicament as a result of the ice-cream she bought. She even called later that night to find out if the mark had gone away. I said it faded somewhat but still present. Had to assure her that I would have the doctor look at it the following day if Kyra still had the mark.

I noticed an empty Vitagen bottle by the table later that night but it did not dawn on my till the next morning when I recieved a call Irene. She had a sleepless night trying to figure out the mystery and finally remembered buying Kyra the Vitagen drink which lacked a straw. Being a typical kid, Kyra merely tore off the core and glupped the Vitagen down before continuing to use the empty plastic bottle as a 'vacuum' toy.

What a cartoon....I wasn't worried at all the night before as I knew that there was some simple and non threatening explanation for the mark. Alas, mystery solved....Kyra was just being Kyra. Posted a photo taken of the mystery halo before it was figured out the next day.

To None I Wish Ill But To All I Wish Peace and Love.

1 comment: