Wednesday 19 November 2008

Its Definitely In The Genes






They say what goes around comes around and I am beginning to agree with the adage 100% with regard to Kyra, my five-year-old kid. In that respect, I am quite certain its due to the gene she had inherited from me.

To have a hyper kid is one thing but to have one that has a mischevious smirk on her face couple with a vivid imagination is another altogether. I have been told time and time again that I was not that different when I was her age (still am in fact...just a kid trapped in an almost gorgeous but stunted 40 year-old body). Dang, I was quite a dynamo, buzzing around as a kid and most of the time unable to sit still due to my over active imagination. A typical Calvin and Hobbes character. My poor, poor parents...including a neighbor who would usually offer my 20 cents (big money back in those days) just to sit still for a minute which I never manage to collect. A crushed right toe, an almost fatal hornet sting to the right eye, dislocated shoulder and an almost severed left thumb cuased by a sickle are testament of how it must have been like for them over the year.

Anyway, back to Kyra....my collegues had the unfortunate recent chance of seeing up close what I have to put up practically everyday. Decided to bring her along for a seafood dinner at Alai. (much to my wife Karen's happiness as this meant at least 2 hours of peace and quiet) Everything proceeded well for the first 5 minutes and then...bam...she spills her glass of ice pink syrup drink on Pelf, one of the most prim and proper girl I have come to know.
Things got a little better after a stern look from me and a round of apologies. The food arrived and Kyra was pretty much okay for about 10 minutes. Then.....bam again....Kyra's attention was diverted to some dumb stray cat and kittens which had to decided to scavange for food near our table. She spent the rest of the evening pinching pieces baked fish and calamari to feed the cats. Once again, Pelf was the one who seemed most disturbed by this as Kyra's cat feeding antics had lured them under our table. Pelf has this great aversion towards animals...practically all forms except for dead rats and frogs which she had dissected during her science classes. (Oh..and of course turtles and tortises...I suppose its because they don't bark, meow or growl, do not have any fur on them and that they don't move that much)

I suppose things evened out when I was sending Jason, Pelf and her buddy Yen to their respective cars after dinner. Jason, a huge burly chap who lives for good food and photography, decided to play tug with Kyra's new stuff pet dog Patrick. There was this audible crack sound and Kyra when 'you patah my dog'. She was still bouncing about in the back of the car much to the terror of Pelf and Yen. Things finally quieten down during the ride home. Found out later when 'bathing' Patrick (Kyra dropped it on the icky wet floor in Alai) that the 'patah' sound was from one of its ear being slightly torn.

Well I guess its in the genes ya. Had enrolled her for ballet classes to get he to be more lady like and gracefu....sigh. Everything said and done, its all more the joy Kyra being Kyra as she does add colour to my life.

To None I Wish Ill But To All I Wish Peace and Love.

2 comments:

Jason Lioh said...

So, something did patah, and I thought I was hearing something. -_-ll

Sudah sew balik ke? Haha.

Me said...

Hahahahaaaa... it was always a good thing that learn to love animal, ofcoz with her rather unique way now, instead of keeping away... For them human beings are scarry too haha. I believe whatever character she holds would be an asset to her for good and she will be fine :-)