Sunday 5 July 2009

And He Shall Give His Angels Charge Over Thee




It was a nerve wrecking and emotionally draining week for Karen and me. After more than two months of treating Kyra's ear infection, it finally came down to the decision of putting her through surgery last Friday.
Both of us knew that it was the best for Kyra as treatment stopped the infection but left her hearing impaired by 35% to 40% and the only recourse was surgery to allow it to heal completely. The two weeks leading up to the surgery proved to be uneventful except for the initial protest.
Though it was a simple procedure of inserting two very tiny (1.1mm) tubes in Kyra's middle ear, it had to be done under general anesthesia (GA). Was very uncomfortable that Kyra had to be GA as it meant that she would be left all alone in the 'void' for 30 minutes and I would not be able to to be there for her.
The day before the surgery, we had to take her in for one final test...my heart was hoping that the doctor would say that she was fine and that there was no need for the surgery...but that was not to be. Had to get her x-rayed and blood tested(which she cried when it was extracted via a syringe)
On Friday, we had to check Kyra in the hospital at 7am as surgery was scheduled for 9am. Instead of the procedure taking estimated 20 minutes, the doctor informed us that Kyra would be under GA slightly longer as he wanted to clean her sinus.
No amount of words can described the anxiety and worry. As a father, Kyra means the world to me...and I would have gladly exchanged places with her if it were possible. A 1,001 thoughts were racing through my head...a battle of letting go of Kyra to God's will, that whatever happened...she would be in His hands.
The night before the surgery, I lay beside Kyra and watch her sleeping. My firstborn and only child whom I have loved as best as I could.
When it was time, Kyra was very cool. She was wheeled in to the operating theater at about 9am. Karen and I said our goodbyes to her and waited for the longest hour of our lives. At about 10am, I spotted the doctor and he gave me the thumbs up, much to Karen's and my relief.
Well, Kyra being Kyra...even under GA...she opens her eyes and says..'already done?' She later took a 15-minute nap and was up and about, running around and playing in the ward. She was discharged at 5pm and even with the supposed effect of GA, Kyra did not sleep any further but spent the entire day awake and being herself. She finally went to bed at 2am.
All there is to say is...thank you Lord for keeping Kyra safe in Your arms.
To None I Wish Ill But To All I Wish Peace and Love.

No comments: