Saturday 12 September 2009

Blue Skies & Moon Over Malacca






It was a hectic week again with the unexpected both at work and at home. Had the opportunity on 9.09.09 to witness a mass wedding of 99 Chinese couples, with the number 9 seen as an auspicious number it also sounds similar to the word 'eternity' in Mandarin.
Thought I managed to get some good shots but did not expect what happened two days later on Friday. It was about 9.30am and it was a cloudless and sunny day. Hanging above a picture perfect blue sky was a transparent gibbous Moon faintly lost in its background.
It was a once in a while moment with conditions for a possible good shot with my G9. My mind was racing to position myself at of the many historical monuments dotting the city of Malacca, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was the day Malex mentioned he wanted to take a photo of the 17th Century Kampung Keling Mosque located along Jalan Tukang Besi.
What better monument than that, I thought. I sped to get a parking and walked along the narrow streets to take as many shots as I could within 30mins before rushing off to a function elsewhere.
The Sun was blazing with clouds seen forming over the horizon. So I had little time to think of the angle of Mosque and sky to capture the moment. It was when I was thinking about a shot involving the Mosque's intricate iron lighting rod and its metal ball with the Gibbous Moon against a blue sky, I spotted a twin engine plane approaching my angle of that I was about to take. Bang....sweet...manage to get two decent shots which turned out even better than expected.
p/s - Jalan Tukang Besi (Goldsmith Street) is located parallel to Jonker Street in the heart of the old city next to the Malacca River. The street runs about 100 meters and located on its left row of 17th Century buildings are the mid 1700s Hindu Sri Poothayya Temple, Kampung Keling Mosque built in 1748 and the Cheng Hoon Teng Temple built in the mid 1600s. The three houses of worship continue to serve the local Muslim, Chinese and Hindu communities with the street also known as 'Harmony Street'.

To None I Wish Ill But To All I Wish Peace and Love

No comments: